Colleen Padilla, founder of classymommy.com had many great tips to share at #BBCPhilly on how to get views on YouTube. She’s been vlogging, or video blogging, since 2006 and has 1.3+ million YouTube video views. She was very enthusiastic and had tons of personality. Here are some of my takeaways from her presentation.
- Video helps people get to know who you are
- 4 billion views a day on YouTube
- YouTube monetizes 3 billion videos a week
- Every day 500 Years of YouTube videos are watched! Holy moly!
You need thick skin to do video. Don’t take yourself too seriously!
How is Video Content Different from Written Content?
Don’t be a talking head. Your video can’t be a narration of your normal blog content. Be entertaining.
Video Quality vs. Quantity
Colleen prefers quantity over quality but recommends not publishing garbage either. You will want to have a few videos that are high quality. Mostly pump out short one-minute videos.
How create a good video without creating garbage?
- Lighting – Best in broad daylight.
- iphone or smartphone – one touch publishing to YouTube
- Canon HS 4 1000
How do you get more views on YouTube? SEO!
Annotations can refer people to other videos. At the end of your video you can add an annotation and insert link to another video. It keeps them watching.
Pick the right thumbnails.
Do a video response. You can do a one video response to your own video.
Opportunities Come From Doing Videos
You may get paid offers from brands or companies.
Final YouTube Video View Tips
- Tag and share your videos
- Keep your video short (1 minute)
- Don’t be a talking head – Make your video interesting
- Strike the balance between quality and quantity – To get more views you will need to constantly do videos.
- Daylight is your best friend
- Share your content across your social media platforms
- If you have an iphone, the imovie app helps you edit your videos
- The shorter your video the less you have to edit
Other Related Articles on #BBC
- 10 Blogging Success Tips – Live from #BBCPhilly
- 10 Ways to Make Google Love You SEO Presentation from #BBCSTL
About The Author